Choosing the right bed for your child is of the utmost importance. The right mattress can help support your child's posture and even affect bone strength. It can also help your child be healthier by making them sleep better. This is why you should be mindful of every detail when choosing to upgrade your child from a crib to a bed.
For the most part, choosing the right mattress for your child should be tackled the same way you would when choosing the right one for yourself. To get into specifics, here are some things you should consider:
1. The correct size - ideally, the time to shop for a bed to upgrade your growing child from a crib to bed is when they are between 2 and 3 years old. You may use the crib mattress on a toddler bed, but if you want a bed that will last longer and one which your child will grow into, it's best to get a twin bed.
2. The right support type - spinal support for a growing child is of the utmost importance. This means choosing a bed that will be strong enough to support them, but also comfortable enough to sleep in.
3. The right comfort level - Mattresses that are too fluffy can conform to a child’s face and potentially smother them. For this reason, select a firm mattress for your toddler instead. Most kids' mattresses come with a level of firmness that is enough to support their growing bodies, but you can still confirm with the salesperson.
4. The correct frame/structure - The bed structure should be long lasting and strong enough to accommodate a growing child. A simple platform bed works best in this regard, but a box spring also works, just be sure to get a box frame that's the same size as your mattress so it fits snuggly.
5. Invest in a durable design - Make sure to choose a mattress that can withstand abuse from kids jumping around or spilling things. If you can't find a waterproof mattress, get a mattress protector.